Our Top 10 Beach Picnic Foods
Planning to spend the day at one of Fort Lauderdale’s beaches?
Most have concessions stands nearby, but those can be costly and limited in choices.
Why not plan ahead and pack a picnic to enjoy throughout the day?
Just come up with a list of your favorite portable foods that can be enjoyed cold or at room temperature and get planning!
Here are a few of our favorite picnic foods and tips to get you started.
- Hummus & Fresh Vegetables: Chop an assortment of your favorite vegetables and your favorite hummus for snacking. Pack veggies in a large zip lock bag and bring store bought hummus so you don’t have to carry out containers. Always keep in mind you have to bring out what you bring in.
- Fresh Fruit & Dip: Cut your favorite in-season fruits into wedges or serve whole. Buy a good fruit dipping sauce or yogurt. No need for bowls or forks.
- Pasta Salad: A pasta salad with a oil & vinegar base is refreshing, yummy and can take the heat a lot better than a mayo based dressing. Toss with fresh veggies, deli meats, cheese or any of your favorite ingredients! You can also transport this in a zip lock bag!
- Stone Crabs (in season) & Srimp Cocktail: When it is stone crab season in Fort Lauderdale, you can find all the fish mongers selling them. You can get them cooked and pre-cracked, so they are easy and fun to eat. Don’t forget to order extra mustard dipping sauce for your stones crabs!
- Lettuce Wraps: Use your favorite lettuce. Clean and separate into portions. Once it dries, put it in a bag for transport. Grill some shrimp, cut into pieces and pack it up. Dice some tomato, onion, garlic, fresh herbs. Toss with canola oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Bag it and pack it.
- Shrimp or Chicken Wraps: Excellent cold or at room temperature with lettuce, tomato, avocado and a little olive oil, lemon, salt & pepper. A wheat or whole grain tortilla may hold up better than flour.
- Kabobs: Chicken, shrimp, tuna or just veggies. Great cold or at room temperature. Cut your skewers short enough, so you can fit them in a large zip lock bag.
- Fried Chicken: Who doesn’t like cold fried chicken? Another easy thing to bring that doesn’t require dishes that you have to lug back with you!
- Dessert Bars: Make your favorite dessert bars, pack with parchment paper between the bars to keep from sticking together.
- Paper Products: You won’t need much. If you choose not to bring plates and plastic forks with you, that’s o.k. These are some perfect finger foods for a beach picnic! Just bring napkins and wipes.